Social media blew Lekki shooting out of proportion – Sanwo-Olu

 

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State on Thursday accused the social media of blowing last Tuesday’s shooting of #ENDSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate out of proportion.

He also maintained his earlier position that he never ordered the shooting of the protesters by suspected security operatives.

The governor who spoke in an interview on Arise TV, said the State was already investigating whether the deceased was a protester.

He therefore asked members of the public with credible information on anyone or group of persons killed in the incident to come forward with the claim.

While claiming that the social media had been awash with “false information” about the Lekki incident, the governor said it would be unthinkable for anybody to imagine that he ordered that peaceful protesters be shot.

“There have been several false information that we have seen over the incident and we will appeal to people to show more restraint in posting information that cannot be verified.”

The Governor also spoke on the alleged removal of Close-Circuit Television (CCTV) security cameras at the Toll Plaza before the shooting started, debunking claims he ordered the action.

See also  #EndSARS: Ikpeazu inaugurates Judicial Panel of Inquiry

Sanwo-Olu said the cameras that were removed were not security cameras but laser cameras meant to capture vehicles’ electronic tags and number plates. He said the removal of the laser cameras was a decision taken by Lekki Concession Company (LCC) that owns the facility.

He said: “When I spoke to the Managing Director of LCC over the matter, he told me the company took the decision to remove installations critical to their service when the curfew was announced.

“Those cameras that were displayed in the viral pictures were not security or motion cameras. They are laser cameras for vehicles, specifically designed to pick electronic tags and number plates on cars.

“Security cameras installed at the Toll Plaza are still there as I speak and the footages from them are the ones that we will be using in probing the Lekki incident. Since Tuesday, the security cameras at the Toll Plaza are still there and nobody can touch them.”

See also  Nigeria spends $500m annually to import palm oil

Sanwo-Olu said multi-agency investigation into Lekki incident may begin next Monday when order would have been fully restored across the State, pointing out the recordings of the CCTV security cameras at the Toll Plaza would be useful in unraveling the circumstance that surrounded the incident.

Clarifying his statement that forces beyond him were behind the deployment of troops to Lekki axis, the Governor said: “The hierarchy and chains of command in the military are not within my purview.

“This is not something I have responsibility for. I do not have such power to control or activate the military. That essentially is what I was trying to say in that particular phrase.”

 

Untitled Document

You can always reach us through these channels

Facebook: https:/www.facebook.com/ancitymedia

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ancitymedia

Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/@ancitymedia

 

Phone Numbers: 07062501185, 09038738731

E-Mail: info@ancity.com.ng, anambracity@gmail.com

Copyright.

This Post: Social media blew Lekki shooting out of proportion – Sanwo-Olu was approved and published by Ancity Media Editor and may not be republished elsewhere without prior written permission from the Editor.

See also  Kaduna-Abuja expressway auto crash claims 19 passengers

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments
Loading...

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More