Eight years after, Imo Court nullifies ex-deputy governor’s sack

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

 

Eight years after he was impeached by the State House of Assembly for allegedly receiving bribe from a construction company, political reprieve came the way of former Deputy Governor of Imo State, Jude Agbaso.

Agbaso’s impeachment was on Monday nullified by Owerri High Court.

The state House of Assembly had on March 28, 2013, impeached Agbaso as the deputy governor of the state on the allegations that he collected N458m as bribe from a construction firm, J- pros.
Agbaso, who was as of the time the deputy to a former governor of the State, Rochas Okorocha, had contested his impeachment in courts.

Delivering the judgment on Monday, the trial judge, I. S Opara, said he was giving the consent judgment since the parties had opted to settle óut of court.
Counsel to Agbaso, Chijioke Emeka, had informed the court that his client and the defendants which included the state governor, the State House of Assembly and the Chief Judge of the State had February 1 drafted terms of settlements and filed same in court on February 2.

In his brief judgment, the jurist said the terms of settlements had become a consent judgement of the court.

Briefing journalists after the court session, Agbaso’s counsel disclosed that the consent judgment had nullified the impeachment of his client on March 28, 2013, as the deputy governor of the state.

He said the judgment had restored his client’s entitlements as a former deputy governor of the State and had been legally fit to hold public positions again.

He said that the parties had to “shift grounds” in order to reach a truce on the terms of settlements.
Agbaso, who was in court, told journalists that he felt elated to be “vindicated” eight years after he was accused of being involved in fraud.
He accused Okorocha of intentionally framing him up “just to get me out of the way.”

READ ALSO  Many escape death as Gas Truck explodes along Benin-Sapele Highway

Agbaso said. “It has been a torturous eight years but I thank the good people of Imo State. I thank the government of Senator Hope Uzodinma for its bold stand, which hastened the resolution.”

Copyright ©Anambra City News.

All rights reserved. This post: 'Eight years after, Imo Court nullifies ex-deputy governor’s sack' and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Anambra City News.

Contact: info@ancity.com.ng

 

Share your story with us:


Phone: 090 387 387 31
WhatsApp: 090 387 387 31
Facebook: /ancityonline
Twitter: @ancityonline
Instagram: @ancityonline

Contact us also for advertisement

Thanks for reading!

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments
Loading...