The Ibadan factory of Expand Global Manufacturing Limited, makers of WAW detergent, was sealed on Wednesday following an industrial accident which led to the death of 21year-old Richard Gbadebo.
Gbadebo, who died at the factory on July 28, was a 300-level student of the University of Ibadan.
The undergraduate, who worked in the factory, was said to have slipped into a soap making machine and died during production, while on night shift.
The factory was sealed on Wednesday by officials of Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.
Confirming the development, Federal Controller of Labour, Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity, Oyo State Office, Femi Fatoki, said findings from a preliminary investigation informed the sealing of the factory.
Fatoki said, “Immediately we got knowledge of the accident, we came for a report. We came here and we could not do more.”
“But despite that, we are able to put up a preliminary investigation and it was based on the preliminary investigation that we ordered the sealing up of the factory.”
“And this order is in conformity with section 38 of the Nigeria Factory Act. It has been identified as a dangerous workplace and the record said we should seal it up.”
He added that the company will no longer operate the factory until the order for its sealing was lifted.
Copyright ©Anambra City News.
All rights reserved. This post: 'Detergent factory sealed over undergraduate’s death' and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Anambra City News.
Share your story with us:
Phone: 090 387 387 31
WhatsApp: 090 387 387 31
Contact us also for advertisementThanks for reading!