Amidst the controversy trailing the purported sack of Prof Oluwatoyin Ogundipe as the Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos by the Governing Council, the federal government, Wednesday evening said it has not be briefed on any development concerning the university administration.
Spokesman of the Federal Ministry of Education, Ben Goong made the clarification in a statement in Abuja.
Goong said the ministry was still waiting for an official briefing from the university’s authorities.
The federal government however explained that the Governing Council of a university has the power to hire and fire, adding that in doing so, due process must be strictly observed.
“My dear colleagues, the Federal Ministry of Education wishes to state that it is yet to be briefed on the developments at the University of Lagos regarding the purported removal of the VC.
“While the Ministry awaits for the proper briefing from the university authorities, it is important to reaffirm that council has the power to hire and fire but that due process must be followed in doing so.”
Earlier on Wednesday, the University Registrar and Secretary to the Governing Council, Oladejo Azeez had confirmed the sack of Prof Ogundipe, explaining that the decision was based on alleged gross misconduct and financial recklessness.
However, the vice chancellor in a swift reaction denied his sack, insisting that the statement from the Registrar was a figment of his imagination.
You can always reach us through these channels
Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/@ancitymedia
Phone Numbers: 07062501185, 09038738731, 07019919330, 09086292043
E-Mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
This Post: UNILAG: We’ve not been briefed about Vice Chancellor’s sack says FG was approved and published by Ancity Media Editor and may not be republished elsewhere without prior written permission from the Editor.