Tanker owners halt strike following NNPC, DSS intervention

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

 

‎The Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners has suspended the two-day warning strike which it commenced on Tuesday.‎

There were fears that the strike would lead to fuel scarcity in the country. ‎

The suspension of the strike followed the intervention of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and the Department of State Services.

NARTO is the umbrella organisation of all commercial vehicles owners in Nigeria engaged in the haulage of petroleum products, general cargoes, and movement of goods and passengers within the country and the West-African sub-region.‎

NARTO had on Monday ordered its members, including tanker drivers nationwide, to halt operations in protest against the Federal Government’s ban on petroleum trucks above 45,000 litres from plying Nigerian roads.‎

However, National President, Yusuf Othman, on Tuesday told journalists in Abuja that the strike has been shelved.

Othman said, “Yesterday (Monday), following an emergency meeting of the National Executive Council of our association, it was resolved that transport owners would park their trucks from 22nd to 23rd September, 2020.

“This was in protest of the Federal Government’s decision to ban all trucks of over 45,000 litres capacity from loading petroleum products from all depots throughout the country.‎

“However, following the intervention of the Group Managing Director of NNPC and the Director-General of the DSS, we are hereby directing all our members to resume operation nationwide.

“This is a directive that we revert to status quo until January 2021 to allow for wider consultation.”

He added that NARTO would await the peaceful resolution of the matter.

READ ALSO  Strike: Govs urge caution over worseniing economic situation 

He also expressed hopes that the members of the association would be given enough time to re-engineer their trucks in accordance with the 45,000 litres directive.

According to him, ‎members of the association who had already stopped operations had been told to resume. ‎

Copyright ©Anambra City News.

All rights reserved. This post: 'Tanker owners halt strike following NNPC, DSS intervention' and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from Anambra City News.

Contact: info@ancity.com.ng

 

Share your story with us:


Phone: 090 387 387 31
WhatsApp: 090 387 387 31
Facebook: /ancityonline
Twitter: @ancityonline
Instagram: @ancityonline

Contact us also for advertisement

Thanks for reading!

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments
Loading...